New repertoire/programs of living pianists

I hope Perahia will be ok. I’ve they are finding someone else to jump in for his Carnegie Hall this spring

2 Likes

Oh so he has cancelled?

Strange, Carnegie still advertise him

1 Like

I think he cancelled. Probably they are still searching for adequate replacement.

2 Likes

Yeah. Pity - but expected.

1 Like

Wonder who’ll play instead… From the genre I guess it’ll be someone like Biss or Lewis, but a little exciting at least.

1 Like

They should invite Pletnev :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Or Zimerman :joy:

Bring your piano please :sunglasses: Trump is nice :sunglasses:

3 Likes

So keyboard ‘virtuosos’ are different to great artists…god i hate that word.

3 Likes

Yes, and among them are pianists who’ve if anything made themselves known as anti-virtuosos.

It seems pretty random. Or rather calculated to make people buy as many series as possible.

1 Like

Szymanowski would be great! Anderszewski has a great recording of the 3rd sonata

1 Like

Really, Szymanowski should be played more in general. I think he’s a stunning composer.

2 Likes

Agreed!

i liken virtuosity as the ability to thrill an audience…that sensation that what the performer is doing is an acrobatic feat. the feeling you get when you watch cziffra play the galop.

it is possible, i believe, to perform artistically without virtuosity, in that there is no acrobatic element. no “omg how is that possible”. practically any “slow piece” probably qualifies, though in some cases the tonal control is so expert (as in horowitz) that there’s an element of physical virtuosity in there as well.

That being said, i call any great pianist in general a virtuoso, and people like cortot though people like to claim that he is technically imperfect, he’s a virtuoso in my terminology. so basically i agree with your statement.

for me great technique means sounding good, while great music means feeling good.

1 Like

:+1:

I wish more people would realise this

1 Like

Hmmm, well, he did get through all the Liszt TEs and Beethoven’s 111 admirably, even if they were not his default pianistic rep.

This could be awesome.

Lmao.

So thanks to vlad who introduced me to the jocko guy.

Just watched a bunch of his videos, discovered the joke, seems like an interesting guy.

1 Like
2 Likes

He gives really good diet advice too.

1 Like