New Toys

Feynman-style

Maybe no need for bulky & expensive gear in a few years after all

1 Like

FWIW I’ve been enjoying the HD600 here. They are wonderfully natural, resolving, and a bit darker than what I’ve grown accustomed to since I last heard them. I like piano on bright cans with lots of treble detail, but the more balanced sound signature here is actually good since bright recordings are much more enjoyable on these. One of my favourite recordings of anything is the Drottningholm Baroque Ensemble in Vivaldi’s Four Seasons (BIS), but it’s so brightly lit that I’ve found it difficult to listen to in headphones earlier. Sharp and steely. I’d ideally like it even darker than I get with the HD600, but it’s much more mellow and natural sounding on these than in my IEMs and it begins to resemble what I get from my speakers in the music room.

What I can’t get used to however is the “audiophile” quad DAC in the V30. Don’t get me wrong, the hype is real - but only if you listen to pop, jazz or similar. It’s snappy, precise and engaging, but the sound is completely two dimensional, and soundstage isn’t a strong point with the HD600 either so they don’t help as much as I hoped. After much researching today I’ve decided to get a transformerless tube amp, which I hope (pozz) will expand the soundstage through its impact on the damping factor. Probably Schiit’s Valhalla 2 (+ Modi 3 DAC) which get lyrical recommendations on the net together with these headphones, and which, reading about it, appears to have the sound signature I’d like to add to the HD600 in the current system.

2 Likes