Pieces that took a while to appreciate but now you love

randomly diz anyone know who da madlovba3 mofo iz and why he tooken down dat doc all pimp recital from Merkin?

Ahahahah but da way he juz retake da pzzg

Give diz a prax-run chill fuckup vibe

From da zpeed of final chordz u can c how pizzed he iz :sunglasses:

Da extremely ztrukchad way diz endin is written tho, wudnā€™t zurprize moi if da DOC learnt it away from da 88 n wuz bazically ziterapin from memory :sunglasses:

2 Likes

True - the guy is so relaxed throughout. For me the Alkan-Brotha is the highlight hereā€¦wow that fucking huge cadenza (with a quote from anotha brotha symph. in it!)

2 Likes

True, even then he was never note perfect. Although, he wouldā€™ve probably tried to play cleaner in a normal recital.

True, good ear!

I know right, itā€™s a pretty ridiculous cadenza!! Randomly, one of the first Alkan pieces I ever heard.

hahahahaha i dun think da DOC evah tried to be a ā€˜note-perfectā€™ mofo

da tech control n command of da inztrument iz juz 95% raw talent at diz elite level. bazically fo deze mofoz, when dey learn a zong, dey alzo haff no clue y it ALWAYZ happen to feel

comfortable az fuck undah da handz :sunglasses:

den tiz becummah a wazte of tym to go from diz eazy maztery to a truly note-perfect interp. tiz much mo productive to juz move on to anotha zong of zimilahly inzane difficulty :doc:

1 Like

Da Doc is still the best pianist to watch. Especially when he plays chordal passages with lots of jumps. Also his scale playing with the ā€œquietā€ hand. The other wikid sheeyat is how much sound he generates with minimal apparent effort. Whoā€™s heard da Doc recently? I wonder if he can still generate that kind of power.

Randomly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP4a7xRpvls&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=suremate

Contains: Chopin Barcarolle, Liszt Norma, Alkan concerto and some other stuff (didnā€™t watch the whole thing). I canā€™t tell if this is already on youtube as thereā€™s too much Doc material to keep track. However, I noticed it wasnā€™t on CJā€™s list, and given that his Doc collection is far greater than my own, I figured some of you might not have seen it. As far as I can tell, this Kanconcerto is from around the same time he made the M&A recording.

Lol Hyperion blocked it!

This is why I hate Youtube. I really canā€™t be bothered to fight them over this.

If thereā€™s enough interest, Iā€™ll upload the original file in the restricted section, so long as Chris is okay with his bandwidth getting raped.

Well Iā€™ve heard himā€¦ I dunno, 8-9 times ca 1996-2017. Itā€™s hard to compare, but his Liszt felt quite physical last year. I at least didnā€™t feel any power was missing.

Iā€™ve probably mentioned this already, but after having been off for so many years I could tell already before he began to play last autumn that something had happened. He looked far more focused than at any concert Iā€™ve seen with him since the 90s, almost like a 100m distance runner waiting to be let loose off his tracks. I know Iā€™ve said it lots of times already but Iā€™m so glad he appears to have found that will and intent again, as opposed to just dutifully performing the music heā€™s set out to play.

Montreal - please! I have seen it in lists, and I think an Alkan encore (or something) is/was on youtube, but I indeed donā€™t have it.

1 Like

Iā€™m mad jealous that youā€™ve managed to hear him so many times, and over such a long period. For some reason, he just doesnā€™t play recitals in Paris regularly. Even concerti arenā€™t an every season occurrence. I lodged the copyright counterclaims before, out of principle, but I really donā€™t see the point in continuing my ā€œregularā€ uploads on youtube if theyā€™re all gonna attract these spurious copyright claims. Iā€™ll upload the Montreal today.

1 Like

Via what mechanism did this copyright block occur? Youtube analyses the sound waves? Surely they realize this can produce fucked up results in classical music.

I remember downloading these vids ages ago too, was it via Jeff?

Fascinating to hear da DOC in a dry acoustic too, not as his absolute best form there but still amazing.

Paris is a bit strange since there are so many venues there, but I think itā€™s at least partly that he still isnā€™t fully accepted outside of people interested in his kind of repertoire. He used to play regularly at a small piano festival we had here ca 1993-2001 (there was only room for about 150 people, towards the end I remember there were seats even in the corridor outside the doors to the hall at his recitals, and scores of people being denied entrance altogether), but a political decision - amazingly enough - put an end to the festival in the very early 00s. After that heā€™s only been invited here once, and not to give a recital with all his suspicious looking repertoire, but as soloist in the Paganini Rhapsody.

Following this there was a 12 year gap or something like that until I got to hear him again, this time at a similar festival which had popped up in southern Sweden likewise run by a group of piano heads who had taken matters in to their own hands. I hope he will be invited to Copenhagen again at some point, butā€¦ itā€™s been ~17 years last now.

A random generator as far as I can tell.

Go for it

1 Like

I have no idea where I got these from. If it wasnā€™t from here then it was probably cvx_melody, who used to pass on a lot of cool things to me over the years. Although weā€™ve fallen out of contact since 2015 or so.

They allowed Favorin to play whatever he played last year at Radio France, surely they can do the same for da Doc? Itā€™s frustrating for me, although generally Iā€™ve been super spoilt with the pianists Iā€™ve gotten to hear, so I shouldnā€™t complain.