POLL: Bach vs. Mozart vs. Beethoven: Preferred Piano Music

Huh? Really?

I thought the guy was basically commonplace, what with The Sting and all.

I posted about him in another thread in this forum. I like the recordings by Richard Zimmerman the most, though the piano has this harsh sound.

Again tempo would be brought up here. Come on, stop flaming on tempo questions. They’re essential to the character of the music.

My issue is that ragtime players occasionally play Joplin at very slow speeds. Not that the pieces sound bad that way, but it was a bit of a revealation to me after finding out several of his gems were marked Quarter to 100. At that tempo, they tend to sound more like “party music” than serious concert music. I wouldn’t like all the rags at that speed, though I am fine with the livelier ones played that way, so that there is more " drive".

1 Like

HAHAHA FUUUCCCKCKKCKKKK!?!!!? :whale: :gav: :lib:

3 Likes

Maybe becauze he izn’t really conzidered a ‘clazzical compozer’ and diz forum iz primarily about clazzical.

But da canadian iz randomly a huge jazz fan zo if u ztart talkin about ozcar peterzon u vil pozzibly get in hiz gud bookz :sunglasses:

Hahaha tru da TE9 iz da one I neglected to lizn to fo da longezt tym and actually now…tiz ma fav juz becuz I overliztened to da rezt :sunglasses::pimp:

2 Likes

Check out the one by Claudio Arrau. The music tells a story in itself, a sad lonely but bittersweet story with a sense of spiritual acceptance in the end.

I have my own fanfic in my head on the origins of that piece, and its relation to its original predecessor the Etudes in 12 Exercises no. 9.

More on that soon.

2 Likes

Ehh there really isn’t much jazz about Joplin tbh. People just dis-associate him from the classical community because of his colour.

I mean, this is the guy who worked on writing 2 operas, a symphony, and a piano concerto. The story behind his struggle to surpass the constraints of ragtime is interesting. I wanted the movie of him but can no longer access it I’m afraid. It had Lando Calrissian in it.

Oscar Peterson: this guy had some huge sped up sumo wrestler power on the piano. I tend to consider his technique as having more power than Tatum. It’s worth noting that he was tutored by one of Liszt’s “descendants”, so there is something of that overt “Lisztian” showmanship in his playing that seems absent in Tatum imho. Almost as if, if Hamelin was Tatum, Peterson would be Cziffra.

1 Like

AHAHAHAHA

objectively zpeakin

if u pit da TE9 againzt a group of 200 FEZTIN IMPROz

it vil cummah out

around 197th place :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Maybe juz becuz u haf not heard it…at da intended tempo :wim: :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Huh? Translation pls. Lol.

Sorry, at present I’m still adjusting to the jargon.

1 Like

Haha zpeakin ov Joplin, diz a nu upload from diz mofo

I really don’t mind. I think it’s fun to see what people here think sometimes too, but it’s maybe once every few months rather than two per hour. :yum:

1 Like

Well I voted fo da ZART.

4 Likes

Hell I’m joining too

BACH

I think I’m at a junction at the moment. Only six months ago I would still have tipped in favour of Beethoven, but Bach has just kept growing on me ever since 2011. There is something universal about his music, and once the 3D image begins to emerge from the polyphony as it were he takes you to a remote and exotic time I still haven’t gotten used to visiting. I think why it took me so long to fully appreciate him was partly that I spent far too much time on the WTC, which is art in the form of little logical puzzles of sort. I mean I love them, but they’re without the vistas opening up in his larger works.

1 Like

Which are da moz rewarding piecez among yo dizcoveriez?

It’s primarily concert experiences which have begun to lift him. The big turning point was when I heard Sokolov play Book II of the Klavierübung in 2011, and was completely dazed afterwards. That’s the first time I really saw the 17th century through his music, which I only knew from architecture, history and the visual arts earlier. Then in 2014 I found myself at a concert which opened with his first orchestral suite, which was magical. There is something about strings which simply doesn’t come across through recordings, I was equally startled the first time I heard Bartok’s 2nd PC live. It gives you an ancient, eternal vibe when you have it in front of you. Then finally I landed a job to record Bach’s complete organ works across ~15 concerts with Sweden’s foremost organist in 2014/2015, which turned me on to a lot of those works too I had only heard in poor performances earlier (this is brusque but honestly, 95% of all organists are advanced church musicians or failed pianists - I think it’s hard to find even decent interpreters).

It’s a different thing to have experienced these live, but I’d be happy to upload if you’d like to hear either of these yourself (I record everything).

1 Like

DAIM wut do u think ov hyperion’z bach piano tranzcription zeriez?

Dere iz quite a few volumez, zum ov dem are wikid

I knew them, still didn’t turn me on to Bach. Transcribed Bach and original Bach are really two different things, for some reason.

Tru, tranzcribed takez advanateg ov da tru capabilitiez ov da 88…I think tranzd Bach iz a lot mo acezible n concert friendly in zum wayz

HAHAHAHA FUCCXCKKKKKK, dis Zepp harzh critique ov da :pimp: moizt!

1 Like

Time for a poll again. I’m with zepp actually, I think Ricordanza is a bit sheeyat too.

1 Like