• PROK sonataz

0 voters

1 Like

Abstain.

Donā€™t make me choose.

8 Likes

Abstain!

1 Like

Iā€™d take Scriabin. I find thereā€™s more there to explore as I age.

3 Likes

Haha Zcrib fo zhor

Prick I enjoy a lot but I find hiz zound world juz lezz aezthetically pleazing

Prick intentionally ugly dizzonancez, where Zcrib haf da moz inzane dizzonancez and zumhow make dem zound beautiful.
Alzo far mo rhythmically free, whereaz da Prick iz mo ztrict n motoric.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve transitioned a lot this decade, and still am. Ten years ago this would have been a no brainer: Rach>Prok>Scrib. Today thatā€™s entirely inverted. Iā€™ll abstain from voting as well however since, just because theyā€™re not on my mind at the moment, I donā€™t think Prokofievā€™s sonatas are in any way inferior to Scriabinā€™s. If anything rather the opposite, but thereā€™s a lot of mojo in Scriabin.

2 Likes

I find Prokofiev very hard to pin down emotionally

I mean Zcriabin I juz find moving and zenzuouz and makez me inhale deeply and zigh a lot

But Prick - hiz emotional world iz a bitā€¦dyztopian? Hiz muzik iz alwayz interezting and appealing but not az ā€˜emotionalā€™. Da zecond concerto mazzive cadenza and a few otha partz clealy different tru.

1 Like

I think itā€™s the other way around. Prokofiev is always very clear and precise with what he wants, whereas a lot of Scriabinā€™s late works in particular are still shrouded in mystery for me. Thatā€™s probably also why I find him more compelling at the moment.

But these things go in waves and trends. Remember how everyone was playing Rachmaninoff in the 90s, and then he largely disappeared. Iā€™ve followed suit - Iā€™m just not interested; and itā€™s only things like Pletnevā€™s hallucinogenic performances of him which has made me take notice. Ask me again in 10 years however and Iā€™m sure both me and the rest of the world will have found things to appreciate in him again.

2 Likes

I canā€™t really choose here; they are too dissimilar.

I feel both of them were saying ā€œthe 19th century is doneā€, but Prokofiev went for an exclusively 20th century new sound, whereas da Scrib wuz more like ā€œitā€™s gone, but letā€™s take increasing amounts of drugs and think about itā€.

4 Likes

Haha late Zcrib iz a different zheeyat tru, very myzteriouz, deliberately zo

Early and Mid Zcrib I emotionally rezonate wiz

Prick I find zardonic

1 Like

I think the main attraction of Scriabinā€™s piano music lies in poetic small-scale pieces such as Preludes, Etudes and Poems - there he enchants me mostā€¦whereas with Prokofiev, I find that the main strength of his music comes across best in the sonata form.
So even if Iā€™m very fond of some of the Scriabin Sonatas, overall I would choose for the Prokofiev Sonatas because most of them simply represent his music at its best.

2 Likes

Itz worth rememberin dat in da widah muzical zcene, Prokofiev iz a much biggah name

Dere iz a lot ov influence he had in da 20th century alzo

Kabalevzky fo example zoundz a bit lyk Prick-lite

1 Like

What separates them for me is that in so-called lesser works, Scriabinā€™s sound world is so complex and fascinating that they are interesting, I donā€™t lose interest. With Prokofievā€™s lesser works, I find them a bit boring.

I also think that Scriabin can survive an uninspired performer more than Prokofiev can.

2 Likes

Although people here are chickening out of choosing, Iā€™m sure if we polled the Prik sonatas, nearly everyone would choose 6-7-8. I never listen to sonatas 1-5 ā€“ like Publius said the lesser works can be a bit boring or one-dimensional. All of us listen to all of Scriabinā€™s sonatas though.

1 Like

Scriabin, with the help of a lot of drugs, did his own thing and it didnā€™t really go anywhere.

Prokofievā€™s influence can be seen in Ginastera, Lutoslawski, Shostakovich, Khatchaturian, etc.

With that being said, I chose Scriabin.

1 Like

Are you implying that this is a negative? The guy is basically untouchable and stands alone. I donā€™t have the education to know how his music affected other composers, but I know heā€™s unique.

1 Like

I regularly listen to all the sonatas except 5. I even love #9. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll love 5 too, once I find a great rec of it.

3 Likes

The Canadian the exception that proves the rule?

Hahaha wtf? check da Zcrib topic, I lizt numerouz cumpozaz da Zcrib influenced hugely

1 Like

Vote fo yo Fav prick zonz

Pridicting landzlite victory fo da 6 7 8 :sunglasses:

• Zon 1
  • Zon 2
  • Zon 3
  • Zon 4
  • Zon 5
  • Zon 6
  • Zon 7
  • Zon 8
  • Zon 9