The most OVERRATED Pianist

In my case, I think I probably just need to listen to him more.

Hmm fav. Sofronitsky recordings:

Schumann Sym Etudes
Schumann Fantasie (for me this is unmatched, first movement, no one else has expressed that sense of intense in-the-moment love).
Chopin mazurkas & nocturnes
Scriabin op. 8/12 and most of the smaller pieces (op. 16) and late sonatas. Not Sonata 5 which is Richterā€™s (Prague).

All these are live. His live recordings from the late '50s and 1960 are the ones to hear IMO. Denon. Havenā€™t been so affected by any of his studio recordings.

yeah those people arenā€™t interesting, and I think by making it impersonal like that they have abdicated responsibility and also misunderstand Sofronitskyā€™s appeal. I love Sofronitsky because I read Akhmatova, Dostoevsky and Platonov, watched Tarkovsky and Shepitko, and lived my life. I think you understand him from getting out there and experiencing the emotions of life (and to some extent art, though they mix). You can feel all that in his playing ā€“ itā€™s very alive, way way beyond mere piano playing. The guy who played that Schumann Fantasie knew what it was to be in love, to have his palms sweat and hands shake in withdrawal and manically drive back towards the person he wanted. He evokes intensely vertical emotions. The live performances feel replete with spontaneous commitments and his best moments reach a sense of love-tragedy (which probably spoke to many people back then, especially women). If you love Shakespeareā€™s senses of love and tragedy, I think heā€™s your guy.

1 Like

Super-like Tony, thanks. Iā€™ll revisit all these soon and will keep in mind what youā€™re saying.

1 Like

Anyone familiar with Nicolai Orloff? I see that Decca will re-publish his CD soon:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8502903--nicolai-orloff-the-decca-recordings

1 Like

A nice Chopinist in the old tradition, one of the best pupils of Igumnov. Heard some of his playing on YT.

I donā€™t know his recordings but would like to hear them.

A lot of Cliburnā€™s studio stuff is boring. He was a very different pianist live. He started to burn out around '68, but for that decade after the competition win, he could be explosive as well as pretty, but he just wasnā€™t interested in the former all that much. His live Rach 3 from the competition is worlds better than the sleepy official live recording that got released shortly after coming back to the USA. Same with the Appassionata, or the Liszt Sonata. The live recordings of those rank up there with the best ever, and in blind listening, you might think they were prime Richter.

3 Likes

From what I remember his tech was always pitiful (by todayā€™s standards), in that it really sounded like he was always on the limit of what he was capable of playing.

I also donā€™t see him as a great technician, but at his best I also never think it was in the way. What I take with me from him is his large and unforced sound - he truly drew a golden tone from the instrument - which gave this voluminous, indeed luminous, quality to his playing in the years immediately after the Tchai. Itā€™s in slower and lyrical passages I like him best, though his grand line kept together large scale works beautifully too. Always live, and almost always early.

Heā€™s really one of the great chameleons in music incidentally. As far as I can tell, in everything essential, this is clearly a RUSSIAN pianist. They gave one back for Horowitz there.

1 Like

IMO, his is the most refined and satisfying Rachmaninoff 3rd. Both the Tchaik comp and Carnegie recs. I also like his Rach Sonata 2, Tchaikovsky Concerto 1, Brahms Concerto 2, Rach Concerto 2, Prok Concerto 3 / Sonata 6, Barber Sonata, Chopin Sonata 3, and a few others. I think anyone who says most of his recordings are overrated hasnā€™t actually listened to them.

Also his Rach 39/5 from Moscow is among the best ever recorded.

1 Like

Not been convinced by Rudolf Zerkinā€¦

How do u mofoz rate him?

1 Like

Serkin is a top 20 mofo for sure. His 40s and 50s recs are especially awesome.

2 Likes

Highly - but not as highly as his reputation.

A friend Iā€™ve lost touch with since many, many years now once said that Horowitz and Serkin were the only pianists during his youth (in the 70s) who could drive an audience in to a frenzy, only Horowitz through mostly romantic repertoire and Serkin through the classics. There is something to that, I remember several recordings Iā€™ve heard with him in Mozart and Beethoven which have a great nerve and excitement about them.

2 Likes

I havenā€™t liztened to much but been undahwhelmd by wut I did hear, maybe juzt not my kind ov penizt

1 Like

Giving diz a lizten

1 Like

I should relisten to his chopin before saying that I donā€™t rate him. Going on 10-15 year old memories isnā€™t a good idea when youā€™ve heard a lot since and your opinion might have changed.

God knows when Iā€™ll find time for it, but if you like I can pull some things out. My experience is that heā€™s best heard live, and best relatively early. 50s and 60s are great, but ~late 70s~ and practically all the 80s werenā€™t a whole lot of fun.

1 Like

Thatā€™s not where you want to start. From memory thatā€™s an early 80s studio recording, which is a sure way to find him at his worst.

1 Like

Tru a clazzic exampleā€¦I had da zame experience wiz da KEMPFF and even to zum extent da RECTUM when I firzt heard hiz recz

Juz liztenin to mofoz in deir 70z n 80z iz bound to give a zheeyat firzt imprezzion :whale:

1 Like

Yes Kempff is even ā€œworseā€ in that aspect. I personally donā€™t care at all for his DG recordings, but there are some worthwhile things from the concert halls during the 60s/70s. The Kempff I like however is the one on 78-rpm - a completely different pianist.

2 Likes