The next Volodos?

:x:: His remarkable ear for sound as well as his musical understanding - which are skills 17yos simply don’t have… I mean 17! I would have raised an eyebrow over a 27 year old with these qualities… Last I heard a 17 year old play this well his name was Ben Grosvenor.

:x:: big deal, moi played diz at 17 too :sunglasses:

1 Like

Haha.

No such feelings here. There’s no requirement on your ethnicity, hair colour etc to become a great pianist - or a great anything. It’s mind, environment & education.

2 Likes

ahahahah da zepp original reply to diz topic wuz zimply

hahahah da next

FUCKWAD :sunglasses:

but den liztened objectively n realized diz a bit harzh

u went da oppozite direction

but in de end we bazically ended up wiz a zimilah verdickt :sunglasses:

Having heard da whole gas fart

I give diz mini mofo my full Rezpek!

16yo MOFO

dat gaze

me like

Tru, he’s something else. Funny/annoying how dat piano went out of tune before he wuz halfway tru da prog.

I’m still waiting for the original Volodos.

1 Like

You think he is overrated?

Not overrated. Just a much different career trajectory than I thought he’d have after his debut and first few years of notoriety through about 2000. I was expecting more early/mid Horowitz and less late Sokolov.

Ahahahah da VOL reputation on da SDC durin antiquity tymz (pre 2010 :sunglasses: ) actually

A bit zheeyat :lib:

Diz due to da cuntztant chairmofo + vice chair editorial propaganda :comme: :zepp: dat da VOL tranzz all juz eazy tech zolutionz fo max effect, lackin in ‘difficulty’ n alzo da fact he avoid duelz in core SDC rep

In hindzite diz a bit harzh

Da VOL in all fairnezz

An all round pretty legendary mofo :sunglasses:

1 Like

That’s odd though. He never sounded anything like early/mid VH even in his youth. It’s the transcriptions I guess, but he said already back then that he thought Horowitz was a better composer than pianist.

The Sokolov influence is there though, for better or worse. He’s a huge fan.

Can you explain more on the influence? Must say I can’t hear much similarity between the two

1 Like

Well, your vote is as good as mine, but I’d say career direction, repertoire, and as an inspirational force. I put them in the same drawer, but I think Volodos’ playing is more similar to Freire today for instance than Sokolov.

1 Like

ahahahah da zepp haff zed diz b4, but da tru turnin point of da VOL virtuozo career iz juz

dat one fateful evenin aftah emptyin hiz 2nd bottle of vodka, when he decided to look up ‘vol turk’ on da tube

only to find

2000 amacha rape vidz

moz of dem faztah n mo furiouz den hiz own :sunglasses:

from dat point on, he decided to change career pathz n becummah

a late-ZOCK level

profound penizt :sunglasses:

4 Likes

:arrow_up: :arrow_up:

pozz tru :slight_smile:

Da VOL in serious rep is very legendary tru.

Imagine if da vol penetrated thru rep at a TRIF pace? :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Truuuuuu

He has this extended Hamelin thing going on. He actively and deliberately wants to distance himself from his early virtuoso career. It makes perfect sense to me to stop playing the Carmen Variations in your 30s, but I think both Volodos and Hamelin lately have tried to rebrand themselves in such a deliberate way that it almost becomes silly.

He’s on his way back to some moderate middle position with the repertoire now at least, and I hope his playing will follow suit soon as well. Where it’s about making music again and not just to play boootifulli in every single bar.

1 Like

We shall see, gonna hear him in a few weeks (unless the roof falls down again). Not too much pretty going on in the rep this time, and I just saw he’s swapped kreisleriana for humoreske and some bunte blatters, so that’s pretty annoying.

You gonna hear him on sunday, no?