Who iz your favrorit early-romantick pianizt compozer?

In my hopefully educated opinion, yes. Earliest one I can find, and I put my claim into print, so it better be right!

2 Likes

That’s fair actually. This is the first generation who had broken free entirely from classicism.

1 Like

I bet you’re right :+1:

1 Like

Uhm, except Moscheles though…?

I do know that the first piece to use the (admittedly rare) technique of alternating NON-octave chromatics is Carl Tausig’s Ghost Ship, which is probably the only innovative element in the entire piece :sunglasses:

1 Like

Oops. Forgot that he was born late 18th century. He lived til 1870 though so the majority of his output would have been very Romantic, unlike other 18th century composers who died in the 1820s and 1830s.

One can only imagine the results if Schubert had lived til 1870!

Yes I’d think so too.

Yeah, the famous story about Liszt finally not being able to sightread something!

1 Like

He’s a bit like Czerny, Kalkbrenner etc. Romanticism is there, but in a Hummelesque way.

We’ll leave him be and anyone who votes for him

we’ll ban :sunglasses:

1 Like

Where do you put Dussek btw?

I mean some of these additions were arbitrary. Like I intentionally ignored Dreyschock, he reallyonly has two recordings that anybody cares about and thats the Piano Concerto and extrememofo’s Revolutionary Etude.

1 Like

Same. In the interim.

1 Like

The Inquietude (sp?) is quite interesting and I’m sure I recall some utter fucker of a piece for lh.

Dussek is almost all classical in my opinion. Kuhlau is a bit more transitional but his music is still quite classical. Czerny shows a lot more Romanticism than the previous two but he never managed to be as innovative as Beethoven.

There are a lot of interesting people from this generation. Chopin and Liszt both drew inspiration one Henri Bertini for instance. Urhan, Kessler, Kullak - many more.

Very true. And of course Hummel was a massive influence on the concerti of many early-Romantics.

But I doubt that anybody would vote for these guys…

1 Like

There’s a huge difference between Dussek and Mozart/Haydn though. I think he’s often very similar to ca Pathetique era Beethoven.

Yes, but I still see the Pathetique as being fairly classical.

I will admit that my only experience playing Dussek is his sonatinas as a child

Or Clementi.

I either way think he has more to do with the romantic transition than the classical era.

Dis mofo is a very interesting composer, almost totally forgotten but some interesting effects in his music, plus the vast amount of LH only stuff.

2 Likes