Generally considered master/popular works you dun like

I forgot da Firebird. Dam if that hasn’t been played to death. I just don’t think it works as concert music. Maybe ds ballet would help.
Speaking if which has anyone seen ROS in ballet form? Pozz Brew da only ballet enthusiast.

By diz point I absolutely hate tchaik 1

Fuck dat zong

Ztill a bettah zong dan tchaik 2 me thinkz…

1 Like

That iz becuz u iz probably drunk or high. I can’t even git fucked up enough anymore to like dat zong tho

Haha I had my mornin coffee and I’m dead serious mofo. :grin:
U haff to try make a diztinction
whetha u dislike a zong because you’ve heard it too much
Or because tiz juz because u cuntsider it a weak zong

1 Like

Haha I’ll just go with weak fluff zong fo now

1 Like

I guezz diz wut happen when you watch too much tchaik comp

1 Like

I haff diz a bit with da :pimp: Sonata. I know dat objectively, tiz one of hiz bezt noizes…but I guezz it’ll take some yearz before I’m able again to lizten to da whole zong…really heard it too often.

2 Likes

I rarely chooze to lizten to it but ztill like it. Haff a soft zpot for Tchaik. Maybe you need a Pogo ztyle interpresheeyat to swing you back. (I juzt found it hilarious when I heard it).

1 Like

I haven’t seen it live, since the original choreography by Nijinsky hasn’t been preserved and I’m a purist (ONP performed it last year in a new choreography but I didn’t attend), but I’ve seen it on video. I think all Stravinsky ballets should be performed as ballets, not as stand alone concert pieces. Without the dancers there, conductors perform the works in undanceable ways, which is inherently inauthentic in my opinion.

I’m a little bit like this too with the sonata. It’s his greatest work, but in recent times I’ve only found Debargue to have anything new to say in it.

I guezz I feel you. Sort of. Zumtym I need to be inspired. Fo example, da firzt n lazt tym I heard tchaik 2 wuz kantorrow Tru winnah perf

If someone tried to git me to liszten da tchaik 1 in da bar or zumthin?

If I absolutely have to liszten I vil curl up in da cornah doing mah absolute best (sucking my thumb) to enjoy dat zong because even though I’m over it, itz da HO and da TOZC

But I dun even wanna liszten to dat zong no morr

Right, I’ll try to listen to that. Sometimes it needs a shocking, “brutally” different performance to make one interested again in a hackneyed piece. I remember Ernst Levy gave me that sensation.

This was exactly the case for me. Last time I genuinely enjoyed the Tchai-1 was when I heard Tiempo play it. Completely “irresponsible”, but lots of fun - he played the piano, the conductor, the orchestra and the audience.

Somewhat the same with the Liszt sonata. I think why everyone is tired of it is that it’s such an architected piece, unlike nearly all other Liszt which normally behaves and evolves more naturally. The performances I’ve enjoyed most in recent years have been ones which deconstruct it a bit again and offer new perspectives. All ladies actually, Leschenko and Rana - but I thought Rubackyte played it well too. For a “real” characterization of it however you simply can’t get past Richter/Carnegie in my mind. And if you’re tired of that Arrau and Gilels have excellent alternatives.

I’ve never been drawn to the Brahms Paganini variations.

1 Like

I love da :pimp:zon but can barely listen to it these days.

Iirc my favourite recs are :bar: live and Huseyin Sermet. Quite like my former teacher’s rec of it tbh, thought it made intellectual points without being didactic, but at the same time I’m probably not a neutral observer.

Same, although the ending of book 1 is great. I vaguely remember you not being a fan of La Campanella back in the day, do you still feel that way?

I’ve gone back and forth on La Campanella, actually! I’ve come around to thinking that in the right hands, it can be superb.

Diz holdz tru fo many zongz, axually :bulb:

Tru. Zum piecez are quite forgiving to me and can be great even in lezz dan ztellar interpz.

But I agree da Bra Pag NEEDZ an inzanely wikid or creative interp to be ov interezt to moi.

Kizzin da bezt modern 1 - and da ZIFF fo gensui rhythm.

And I vil add to wut I zaid above -

Zhoe Toccata…almoz intolerably monotonouz unlezz in wikid interp lyk da ZIFF.

PRICK TOCC - zame zheeyat, love da HO interp.

IZLAMIC BOMBAH - harzhly find diz a borin piece unlezz abzolutely BLAZED THRO