Pimp Rektal Order

Under 27 mins?

:approved:

1 Like

Daiiiiim you’re shredding, bro!

Post this in a separate topic so it gets the respect it commands.

wife had plans for lunch…

1 Like

Yeah make a separate thread in members recs. This is pretty legendary so far

Ok, done

Daim, look at those Popeye sized forearms! Do you lift, bro?

They just grew after I learned the Zhoe toccata

1 Like

Considering this was recorded on your phone (it seems), you have a wonderful sounding 88.

1 Like

Thanks! Indeed recorded on my phone. I have been thinking on buying some proper recording equipment but I never thought my level justified the expense. Piano is a Estonia I bought in 2017 when I went to a piano shop firmly decided to buy a Steinway.

1 Like

I’ve listened to a few bits so far, the beginning, the Grandioso, and the fugato. Major rezpket. I wish I could play at your level.

At the very least, there are some Rode mic attachments for smartphones.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing. Which model Estonia do you have?

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words!! It’s always a bit intimidating posting recordings in a forum that truly has some knowledgeable mofos…
The Estonia is a L190.

2 Likes

Rezpec mofo :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Diz LEGIT unleash.

I will listen on proper headphones tonight, apple earbuds a bit trash

1 Like

So I finally went through this program this past weekend for the first time. Played for about 15 folks. It’s interesting how unsure I felt from the first page of the Dante onwards and some sections that I normally bring up with reasonable clarity sounded really muddy. I really had not been expecting to feel this ‘nervous’ - although it was some kind of nervous Ive never felt before. In past recitals (I had not played live in a formal public setting for more than two decades [!]) nerves used to feel like fear. Now they felt like annoyance because my mind was clear and my hear rate was smooth, but my hands were not doing what I was expecting them to do. Anyway… Then the ballade was just ok, but I was still more worried to play cleanly than to enjoy the range of emotions within it. By the time I got to the Petrarch I was feeling a bit more like myself, but I found I couldn’t find a lot in that piece to bring up to the point that after the performance I found myself pondering the question of whether I like that piece that much after all… Maybe I was just emotionally exhausted. The Mephisto came out very, very unclean, and I was very unhappy with it.

But then on the b minor something weird happened. For one thing, I felt completely secure. There was no way I felt I was going to miss any note, and even if I missed some, they didnt make a dent in my spirit. This was something I have never felt, I think. Normally while Im playing most of my brain’s bandwidth is focused on remaining in control to the maximum extent possible. And there is of course the permanent thought that at any second Im going to lose my way… but in this case I just felt that someone (someone I trusted a lot) was in charge of playing the notes, and I just could give shape to the music and simply and purely enjoy it. I dont have any other word to describe the feeling except for ‘amazing’. My performance was far, far from amazing, but what I felt is worth all the hours I spent hurting from my inescapable mediocrity while learning this music. I am so grateful that I got to experience one half an hour like that one in my lifetime. This is weird to say, but at the end one mofo from work came to me with teary eyes and very quietly mentioned that he had never experienced anything like that ever. That’s what he said, verbatim. That was so nice to hear, but I think this guy needs to go listen to some proper pianists live if he got that reaction from just me.

Im playing the program again next weekend and then the next one, for some other mofos, and then I will let these pieces sit and tackle new stuff. I need to think about what to learn next but Ive been wanting to do lots of Russian music recently. Maybe a Kapustin Sonata and one of the Rock’s sonatas, prob the second, which I find more approachable (although I think the first one has better moments). But not sure how to build a program around those. Was thinking also I could revisit Prok7 which I played about 25 years ago (!) - but Prok7 - Rock2 - Kapustin1 (for example) is a very unbalanced program (?). At some point I was thinking of tackling Zhoe’s op17 and even made a thread about it, but now Im craving just Russian stuff for some reason. Will see what I do… Would be nice to hear people’s thoughts about how to program some of these pieces.

3 Likes

Dude, definitely try and record that mammoth program for us, wtf.

That Liszt Sonata you posted was BALLSY and secure as fuck.

:approved:

3 Likes

Just program what you love, bro. Life’s too damn short too apologize for playing what you want :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I want to read this, but can I get a TL:DR version?

TLDR: Played the program at beginning of the thread live for some mofos with mixed results. Will play again a couple of times more. After that I want to tackle some Russian sonatas, but unsure how to fit within a balanced program.

2 Likes

I think one problem I have is that most music I want to learn tends to be ‘program finishers’. Or at the very least pieces one wouldn’t want to start a rektal with… That’s why I tend to look for ‘filler’ works that eventually I am not convinced about…
But I agree life’s too short to spend time on music that does not hit me on a deep level.

1 Like

I dunno, if you’ve got an audience who are up for any Russian sonatas, they’re probably going to like to hear several, they won’t care that you don’t play a few Poon-approved easy pieces as padding.

2 Likes